Thursday, March 26, 2009

March Madness

How does the world affect us? How do we affect the world? (If you are wondering about question two, simply ask Al Gore or rent an Inconvenient Truth) These two questions form the base of all areas of study, whether we are talking about brain surgery or English 201 at the University of Wisconsin.

This past week in class has centered around the comparison of Embodiment and Hermeneutic relations. I don't know about the rest of you but I have found it somewhat easier to wrap my head around embodiment relations compared to hermeneutic relations. During class examples were given for each type of relationship, but is it possible for something to be both? if so, any ideas?

On a side note, I have to admit sometimes I wonder whats the big deal if something is embodiment or hermeneutic. What if the time people put into these philosophical studies was put into cancer research or the development of alternative fuels?

Well, basketball is on and my bracket is in the process of being busted. Go Duke!

Ryan

2 comments:

  1. I gave the example in my post of how eyeglasses can be both. I think for most people, glasses or contacts start out as something hermeneutic but can eventually change into embodiment because they sort of grow on that person. I really think it depends on how a technology changes a person's experience of the world, which can then change the type of relationship he or she has with the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave the example in class of technologies that children with dissabilities use. They not only use these technologies to experience the world, but they also they experience the machine itself and have to learn how to interpret it.

    ReplyDelete